Friday, July 1, 2011

I'm So Tired

I was walking my dog just now, listening to Chokehold, feeling a vague sense of dissatisfaction about the world, as I walked though the leafy streets.

Whenever i go back to my Mum's house to stay, I am always overwhelmed with this desire not to speak to anyone on the street. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but it probably has something to do with it reminding me of how ridiculous it is to be vaguely angry with the world as you walk your dog on a crisp winter day, in a middle class suburb. That isn't to say things are wrong out there in the world, but it is probably silly to go on as if you yourself are hard done by. Unless of course you have been hard done by. But I, avocado prices aside, have not been.

So here I was listening to Chokehold, trying to make sure Sammy the dog didn't chase the border collie across the road, when Bolt Thrower came on.

Bolt Thrower are classic examples of the nihilistic social commentary that always attracted me to metal. Where a lot of hardcore is idealistic (in that is describes what should or could be) metal often showcases this gritty realism (in that in explores what does happen, without any real sense that it can be changed).

I imagine its this brand of social nihilism that attracts a lot of less well off kids to death metal. When you don't have the opportunity to learn that things can be better, one is inclined to accept your lot in life, no matter how much it sucks.

1 comment:

  1. Well you know what they say:

    "in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war"

    ReplyDelete