Friday, December 18, 2009

Metal Head Cyclists and the Art of Shame

The other week while working at the bike shop I work at I met the first roadie who liked old metal and had long hair, other than myself, in about...well...ever.

Because my work shirt was at home and dirty I was wearing a sweet Slayer 'Live Undead' shirt with the various members of said band appearing as badly drawn skeletons. Except the drummer Dave Lombardo, who appears as a de-torsoed statue, still holding drum sticks. Despite all this they all have long hair and are able to hold guitars. But i digress.

So this competant looking cyclist came in, team kit and shaved legs looking fresh, and asked to pump up his tyres. I said sure. He then let out an excited gasp and proceeded to express his love for Slayer. I agreed with everything he said. He then inquired as to what else i was 'into'. Being wary of listing of lists i avoided the question. He persisted, however, and soon we were comparing the various highs and mostly lows of such bands as Morbid Angel, classic Obituary and Kreator.

Flushed with the excesses and geekiness of our conversation, i pointed out we were a rare breed of dorktastic fashion and life style choice, with a penchant for silly sports. He agreed, as he left the shop to rejoin his group. Mildly pleased with this encounter i returned to truing a taco shaped wheel.

3 comments:

  1. We are a rare breed! I think we should have Metal Ride this summer, where only metalhead roadies are allowed. At the very least it could be you, Lucho, BikeSnob and that dude, you are talking about. There's also a dude I know thru Twitter in PA, who is way into old thrash. I'll duct tape a boombox to my handlebars and rock out to some Tankard! I propose we do it in New York, since I live here and don't feel like going anywhere to meet a bunch of loser dudes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skullcrusher: please give me your address and i will come to your house for said ride. Thanks for reading my terrible blog. I wish i was BSNYC and Lucho combined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled this exact topic just out of curiosity. Sometimes I think my interests clash. Then again, I don't really care.

    One thing's for certain, I'll never cut my hair or shave my legs. Gross!

    ReplyDelete